You are here
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Associate Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 242 Physics Bldg, 120 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2875
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2009
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- IMA Prize in Mathematics and its Applications. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. 2017
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2015
- Sloan Research Fellowship. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2013
- Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship. Princeton University. 2008
- MATH 356: Elementary Differential Equations
- MATH 493: Research Independent Study
- MATH 563: Applied Computational Analysis
- MATH 631: Real Analysis
- MATH 690-70: Topics in Applied Mathematics
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
In the News:
- Pratt Researchers to Harness Computational Power to Solve Time-Intensive Calculations (Jul 10, 2015)
- Sloan Foundation Names Charbonneau, Lu as 2013 Research Fellows (Feb 15, 2013)
- Cao, Y; Lu, J, Stochastic dynamical low-rank approximation method, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 372 (2018), pp. 564-586 [10.1016/j.jcp.2018.06.058] [abs].
- Li, X; Liu, J; Lu, J; Zhou, X, Moderate deviation for random elliptic PDE with small noise, The Annals of Applied Probability, vol 28 no. 5 (2018), pp. 2781-2813 [10.1214/17-AAP1373] [abs].
- Huang, Y; Lu, J; Ming, P, A Concurrent Global–Local Numerical Method for Multiscale PDEs, Journal of Scientific Computing, vol 76 no. 2 (2018), pp. 1188-1215 [10.1007/s10915-018-0662-5] [abs].
- You, Z; Li, L; Lu, J; Ge, H, Integrated tempering enhanced sampling method as the infinite switching limit of simulated tempering., The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol 149 no. 8 (2018) [10.1063/1.5045369] [abs].
- Barthel, T; Lu, J, Fundamental Limitations for Measurements in Quantum Many-Body Systems., Physical Review Letters, vol 121 no. 8 (2018) [10.1103/physrevlett.121.080406] [abs].