Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Nico Hotz specializes in interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology. His research focuses on heat, mass, and charge transfer on nano-scale surfaces for solar thermal applications, catalytic fuel reforming, hydrogen generation, fuel cells, and electrolysis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 303 Hudson Hall, Mems Department, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5118
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, 2008
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Pratt School of Engineering. 2015
- Alfred M. Hunt Faculty Scholar. Pratt School of Engineering. 2014
- 2013 New Investigator Award . North Carolina Space Grant. 2013
- 2012 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award . Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2012
- Best Paper Award in the ASME Energy Sustainability Conference 2010. Advanced Energy Systems Division of ASME . 2011
- Fellowship for Prospective Research 2009. Swiss National Science Foundation. 2009
- Georg A. Fischer Award 2009 . ETH Zurich. 2009
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ENERGY 396: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENRGYEGR 490: Special Topics in Energy Engineering
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News:
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Duke Labs Produce 2 Intel Talent Search Finalists (Feb 10, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- New Method for Producing Clean Hydrogen (May 21, 2013)
- Real, D; Dumanyan, I; Hotz, N, Renewable hydrogen production by solar-powered methanol reforming, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol 41 no. 28 (2016), pp. 11914-11924 [10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.02.086] [abs].
- Hotz, N, Hierarchical nanostructures for fuel cells and fuel reforming, vol 2015-January (2015), pp. 84-106 [abs].
- Hotz, N; Mohanty, AK; Misra, M, Investigating operating conditions and mechanical performance of co-injected polylactic acid and polycaprolactone, Annual Technical Conference - ANTEC, Conference Proceedings (2015) [abs].
- Real, D; Dumanyan, I; Hotz, N, Hydrogen production by solar-powered methanol reforming (2015) [abs].
- Shodiya, T; Barnes, J; Xiong, G; Dumanyan, I; Ngo, H; Fales, A; VoDinh, T; Hotz, N, Plasmon-assisted photothermal catalytic reactor for hydrogen generation, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA (2015) [abs].