George Barth Geller Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Liu’s research interests are focusing on the chemistry and material science of nanoscale materials. Specific topics in his current research program include: Self-assembly of nanostructures; Preparation and chemical functionalization of single walled carbon nanotubes; Developing carbon nanotube based chemical and biological sensors; SPM based fabrication and modification of functional nanostructures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- George Barth Geller Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
- Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 2105 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1549
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rice University, 1999
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 1996
- M.S. Shandong University (China), 1990
- B.S. Shandong University (China), 1987
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2013
- AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science, The. 2012
- CHEM 210DL: Modern Applications of Chemical Principles
- CHEM 295: Introduction to Research Independent Study
- CHEM 311: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 311L: Physical Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- ECE 511: Foundations of Nanoscale Science and Technology
- NANOSCI 511: Foundations of Nanoscale Science and Technology
In the News:
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Light-Driven Reaction Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel (Feb 23, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Ma, L; Yuan, H; Zhang, W; Zhu, G; Wang, Y; Hu, Y; Zhao, P; Chen, R; Chen, T; Liu, J; Hu, Z; Jin, Z, Porous-Shell Vanadium Nitride Nanobubbles with Ultrahigh Areal Sulfur Loading for High-Capacity and Long-Life Lithium-Sulfur Batteries., Nano Letters, vol 17 no. 12 (2017), pp. 7839-7846 [10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b04084] [abs].
- Tong, H; Yue, S; Lu, L; Jin, F; Han, Q; Zhang, X; Liu, J, A binder-free NiCo2O4 nanosheet/3D elastic N-doped hollow carbon nanotube sponge electrode with high volumetric and gravimetric capacitances for asymmetric supercapacitors., Nanoscale, vol 9 no. 43 (2017), pp. 16826-16835 [10.1039/c7nr02498c] [abs].
- Liang, J; Zhao, P; Wang, C; Wang, Y; Hu, Y; Zhu, G; Ma, L; Liu, J; Jin, Z, CsPb0.9Sn0.1IBr2 Based All-Inorganic Perovskite Solar Cells with Exceptional Efficiency and Stability., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 139 no. 40 (2017), pp. 14009-14012 [10.1021/jacs.7b07949] [abs].
- Yan, C; Xue, X; Zhang, W; Li, X; Liu, J; Yang, S; Hu, Y; Chen, R; Yan, Y; Zhu, G; Kang, Z; Kang, DJ; Liu, J; Jin, Z, Well-designed Te/SnS 2 /Ag artificial nanoleaves for enabling and enhancing visible-light driven overall splitting of pure water, Nano Energy, vol 39 (2017), pp. 539-545 [10.1016/j.nanoen.2017.07.039] [abs].
- Chen, T; Zhang, Z; Cheng, B; Chen, R; Hu, Y; Ma, L; Zhu, G; Liu, J; Jin, Z, Self-Templated Formation of Interlaced Carbon Nanotubes Threaded Hollow Co3S4 Nanoboxes for High-Rate and Heat-Resistant Lithium-Sulfur Batteries., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 139 no. 36 (2017), pp. 12710-12715 [10.1021/jacs.7b06973] [abs].