George Barth Geller Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Liu’s research interests are focusing on the chemistry and material science of nanoscale materials. Specific topics in his current research program include: Self-assembly of nanostructures; Preparation and chemical functionalization of single walled carbon nanotubes; Developing carbon nanotube based chemical and biological sensors; SPM based fabrication and modification of functional nanostructures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- George Barth Geller Professor of Chemistry in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
- Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 2105 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1549
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rice University, 1999
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 1996
- M.S. Shandong University (China), 1990
- B.S. Shandong University (China), 1987
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2013
- AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science, The. 2012
- CHEM 210DL: Modern Applications of Chemical Principles
- CHEM 295: Introduction to Research Independent Study
- CHEM 311: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 311L: Physical Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- ECE 511: Foundations of Nanoscale Science and Technology
- NANOSCI 511: Foundations of Nanoscale Science and Technology
In the News:
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Light-Driven Reaction Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel (Feb 23, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Zhang, X; Li, X; Reish, ME; Zhang, D; Su, NQ; Gutiérrez, Y; Moreno, F; Yang, W; Everitt, HO; Liu, J, Plasmon-Enhanced Catalysis: Distinguishing Thermal and Nonthermal Effects., Nano Letters, vol 18 no. 3 (2018), pp. 1714-1723 [10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b04776] [abs].
- Liang, J; Wang, C; Zhao, P; Wang, Y; Ma, L; Zhu, G; Hu, Y; Lu, Z; Xu, Z; Ma, Y; Chen, T; Tie, Z; Liu, J; Jin, Z, Interface Engineering of Anchored Ultrathin TiO2/MoS2 Heterolayers for Highly-Efficient Electrochemical Hydrogen Production., ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces (2018) [10.1021/acsami.7b19009] [abs].
- Kim, CHJ; Varanasi, CV; Liu, J, Synergy of polypyrrole and carbon x-aerogel in lithium-oxygen batteries., Nanoscale (2018) [10.1039/c7nr08494c] [abs].
- Chen, T; Cheng, B; Zhu, G; Chen, R; Hu, Y; Ma, L; Lv, H; Wang, Y; Liang, J; Tie, Z; Jin, Z; Liu, J, Correction to Highly Efficient Retention of Polysulfides in "Sea-Urchin"-Like Carbon Nanotube/Nanopolyhedra Superstructures as Cathode Material for Ultralong-Life Lithium-Sulfur Batteries., Nano Letters, vol 18 no. 2 (2018) [10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b00102] [abs].
- Liang, J; Zhu, G; Lu, Z; Zhao, P; Wang, C; Ma, Y; Xu, Z; Wang, Y; Hu, Y; Ma, L; Chen, T; Tie, Z; Liu, J; Jin, Z, Integrated perovskite solar capacitors with high energy conversion efficiency and fast photo-charging rate, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol 6 no. 5 (2018), pp. 2047-2052 [10.1039/c7ta09099d] [abs].