Associate Professor of Mathematics
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Associate Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 242 Physics Bldg, 120 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2875
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2009
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- IMA Prize in Mathematics and its Applications. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. 2017
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2015
- Sloan Research Fellowship. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2013
- Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship. Princeton University. 2008
- MATH 356: Elementary Differential Equations
- MATH 493: Research Independent Study
- MATH 563: Applied Computational Analysis
- MATH 631: Real Analysis
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
In the News:
- Pratt Researchers to Harness Computational Power to Solve Time-Intensive Calculations (Jul 10, 2015)
- Sloan Foundation Names Charbonneau, Lu as 2013 Research Fellows (Feb 15, 2013)
- Lu, J; Thicke, K, Cubic scaling algorithms for RPA correlation using interpolative separable density fitting, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 351 (2017), pp. 187-202 [10.1016/j.jcp.2017.09.012] [abs].
- Li, L; Liu, J-G; Lu, J, Fractional Stochastic Differential Equations Satisfying Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem, Journal of Statistical Physics, vol 169 no. 2 (2017), pp. 316-339 [10.1007/s10955-017-1866-z] [abs].
- Yu, VW-Z; Corsetti, F; García, A; Huhn, WP; Jacquelin, M; Jia, W; Lange, B; Lin, L; Lu, J; Mi, W; Seifitokaldani, A; Vázquez-Mayagoitia, Á; Yang, C; Yang, H; Blum, V, ELSI: A unified software interface for Kohn–Sham electronic structure solvers, Computer Physics Communications (2017) [10.1016/j.cpc.2017.09.007] [abs].
- Lu, J; Steinerberger, S, A variation on the Donsker-Varadhan inequality for the principal eigenvalue., Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol 473 no. 2204 (2017) [10.1098/rspa.2016.0877] [abs].
- Lu, J; Yang, H, A cubic scaling algorithm for excited states calculations in particle–particle random phase approximation, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 340 (2017), pp. 297-308 [10.1016/j.jcp.2017.03.055] [abs].