Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jeffrey T. Glass is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering with a secondary appointment as a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke University. He is the Faculty Director of Duke's Master of Engineering Management Program and also holds the Hogg Family endowed chair in Engineering Management and Entrepreneurship. Formerly, he was the Co-Director of The Institute for the Integration of Management and Engineering at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) and held the Joseph F. Toot, Jr. endowed chair in the Case School of Engineering. Jeff received his Bachelors and Masters degrees from Johns Hopkins University, and a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Virginia. He also received an MBA from Duke University's Global Executive (GEMBA) program.
His current appointment involves research in electronic materials and the associated devices/instruments improved by these materials. He is also involved in the development of joint educational, research and technology transfer activities related to the intersection of business and technology. He consults and holds advisory board appointments with various companies in materials-related areas and has served as an expert witness in patent litigation. Prior to his appointment at CWRU, he was the Vice President of R&D for Kobe Steel USA Inc. with a focus on electronic materials. Prior to joining Kobe Steel, he was a tenured faculty member in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at North Carolina State University. He has been involved in the study of Innovation Management in technology-based organizations with a focus on the early stages of technical development and received the 2004 Industrial Research Institute’s Maurice Holland Award for his paper entitled “Managing the Ties Between Central R&D and Business Units.”
Jeff's technical research has focused on the growth and characterization of thin films for electronics, including carbon nanotubes, graphene, diamond and Silicon Carbide. Chemical vapor deposition, sputtering, materials analysis and electronic properties are his areas of interest. He has published over 170 papers and book chapters, edited seven books and is a co-inventor on 14 patents. He has been a short course instructor for several professional societies and companies and has organized numerous conferences. He has given over 75 invited presentations in 12 different countries. He served as a member of a Presidential Science Advisor's committee for the assessment of diamond technology in Japan and has received two teaching awards and the National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator award. He has held adjunct faculty appointments at North Carolina State University, Case Western Reserve University and the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina where he has taught executive courses on Managing Innovation.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Office Location: Packages: Hudson Hall Room 129, Office: Teer Bldg Rm 118, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5431
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.B.A. Duke University, 1999
- Ph.D. University of Virginia, 1986
- M.Sc.Eng. Johns Hopkins University, 1983
- B.S.E. Johns Hopkins University, 1981
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Highly Cited Researcher. Thomson Reuters. 2001
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGRMGMT 590: Advanced Topics in Engineering Management
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
In the News:
- Duke's Community-Based Toilet System Begins Testing in India (Apr 25, 2018 | Duke Global Health Institute )
- Duke's Community-Based Toilet System Begins Testing in India (Apr 4, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Duke, RTI International Partner on Improved Global Sanitation (Aug 28, 2017)
- Engineering the Toilet: Duke Faculty Take on the Modern Sanitation Crisis (May 15, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Coding and Computers Help Spot Methane, Explosives (Apr 15, 2016)
- Duke University innovation may lead to portable mass spectrometers (Apr 14, 2016 | Homeland Security Today )
- Duke Engineers Help Launch Off-Grid Sanitation System in India (Sep 25, 2015)
- Sniffing Out Gas Leaks: Pratt Researchers Work on Next-Generation Methane Detector (Feb 19, 2015)
- Energy deputy secretary: Duke’s innovative energy research essential to security, safety (Apr 24, 2014)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- U.S. Reps Visit Federally Funded Airport Security Research at Duke (Nov 7, 2013)
- Amsden, JJ; Herr, PJ; Landry, DMW; Kim, W; Vyas, R; Parker, CB; Kirley, MP; Keil, AD; Gilchrist, KH; Radauscher, EJ; Hall, SD; Carlson, JB; Baldasaro, N; Stokes, D; Di Dona, ST; Russell, ZE; Grego, S; Edwards, SJ; Sperline, RP; Denton, MB; Stoner, BR; Gehm, ME; Glass, JT, Proof of Concept Coded Aperture Miniature Mass Spectrometer Using a Cycloidal Sector Mass Analyzer, a Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Field Emission Electron Ionization Source, and an Array Detector., Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol 29 no. 2 (2018), pp. 360-372 [10.1007/s13361-017-1820-y] [abs].
- Zhou, Y; Shin, D; Ngaboyamahina, E; Han, Q; Parker, CB; Mitzi, DB; Glass, JT, Efficient and Stable Pt/TiO2/CdS/Cu2BaSn(S,Se)4Photocathode for Water Electrolysis Applications, ACS Energy Letters, vol 3 no. 1 (2018), pp. 177-183 [10.1021/acsenergylett.7b01062] [abs].
- Kirley, MP; Aloui, T; Glass, JT, Monolayer graphene-insulator-semiconductor emitter for large-area electron lithography, Applied Physics Letters, vol 110 no. 23 (2017), pp. 233109-233109 [10.1063/1.4984955] [abs].
- Amsden, JJ; Gehm, ME; Russell, ZE; Chen, EX; Di Dona, ST; Wolter, SD; Danell, RM; Kibelka, G; Parker, CB; Stoner, BR; Brady, DJ; Glass, JT, Coded Apertures in Mass Spectrometry., Annual review of analytical chemistry (Palo Alto, Calif.), vol 10 no. 1 (2017), pp. 141-156 [10.1146/annurev-anchem-061516-045256] [abs].
- Thostenson, JO; Ngaboyamahina, E; Sellgren, KL; Hawkins, BT; Piascik, JR; Klem, EJD; Parker, CB; Deshusses, MA; Stoner, BR; Glass, JT, Enhanced H2O2 Production at Reductive Potentials from Oxidized Boron-Doped Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Electrodes., ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol 9 no. 19 (2017), pp. 16610-16619 [10.1021/acsami.7b01614] [abs].